Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm back

Hello everyone. I've been away for awhile but I'm going to make an effort to do this again. Sorry to have let it go last year but some things got in the way.

The Florida Legislature is back in session and the NP controlled substance prescribing bill is once again languishing in first committee. The committee chairs in both the House and Senate refuse to allow it to be heard. If it isn't heard in committee it has no chance of going forward. If anyone has any pull with Senator Gaetz and will put in a good word for us it would be most appreciated.

I went to the AAHPM/HPNA Annual Conference in Boston and had a wonderful time. It was heavy on Pediatrics this year, which I am weak in, so I learned a great deal. I went to a particularly good lecture, Managing Neuropathic Pain in the Pediatric Patient, and some of it reinforced what I know and then some was new. I was reminded to try Ketamine for hyperalgesia, which I've never done. The next time I come across a case, I want to remember and see if I can get the MD I work with to help me with this. I've read of great results but it has to be done correctly. Conference is always stimulating and inspiring, and this was no different.

New this year was blogging for AAHPM, although it was disappointing to do a blog entry and have no comments. But it's great to have an organization so invested in being part of the technology of the 21st century.

I'm planning to submit a proposal for a presentation at next year's Conference. I'll be writing about it here in future entries. Here's hoping it gets accepted.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're back. I am a new NP working in palliative care. I do not work with other NP's so I am 'blazing the trail' as they say. I'll be checking in regularly. We have a MS patient who we tried ketamine on recently - she couldn't take the s/e and saw no real improvement in her pain. Trying to get ketamine formulated outpatient was also difficult - but this is just one patient. OThanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in Palliative care or hospice? In other words, which side are you billing on? I love that you are trailblazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! The AAHPM blog is in the early stages. Give it time and it will grow. Glad you are back here blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did we meet? Did you come to the Pallimed party? Or the social media session?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dr Sinclair, no I didn't get to meet you. I was up to my ears in so much else I had to do I couldn't get to the Pallimed party. I really hope I get to Vancouver. If my proposal is approved, my organization will pay my way. I can't afford to pay my own way 2 years in a row.

    ReplyDelete